This page is to here to help you understand how the electric underfloor heating system works and whether it’s the right system for you.
There are a few different factors to consider when deciding which underfloor heating system is right for your home, functionality and price are just two of them. Before you decide if electric underfloor heating is right for you first and foremost the size of your room is very important.
How does electric underfloor heating work?
An electric underfloor heating system works by running a number of electric wires beneath the floor of a room, these are connected up to your electric mains supply and this produces radiant floor heat.
When the system is turned on a current will pass through the wires to generate heat that will pass through the floor and evenly heat the surrounding area. The system is also connected to a sensor that sends information directly to a thermostat which allows you to have full control over the temperature in a room.
Electric underfloor heating is a popular choice among many homeowners due to various options of installation and materials; it can be placed in small or awkward locations.
There are various prices for electric underfloor heating as it depends on the type of floor heating system you wish to have, for example, roll-out underfloor heating mats start from £180 for a kit with 10 square metres.
However, you will also need to consider the price of installation which can include:
· Electricians labour charges
Typically speaking an electric underfloor heating system costs less to install than a wet underfloor heating solution. Even so, there are some important things to take into account when looking at electric underfloor heating such as the size and shape of the room, how well is it insulated and how you will use it. The most common rooms you'll find electric underfloor heating installed are bathrooms, en-suites and smaller areas such as sun lounges or kitchens. Installing electric underfloor heating in large rooms may not be as cost-effective.
What are Electric Underfloor Heating Kits?
Electric underfloor heating kits are replacing conventional heating and radiators with some form of underfloor heating because they are more efficient. They can be installed underneath carpets, tiles, stone and wooden flooring. Which kit is best, is dependent on the home and floor type. Once the kits are installed, you will have a gentle, steady heat that will warm an entire room evenly.
Advantages of Electric Underfloor Heating
• Easy installation – underfloor heating is easy to install and can be done by anyone excluding wiring, however, this doesn’t take long by a qualified electrician.
• Space-saving – unlike radiators, electric underfloor heating kits won't take up valuable space in the desired room.
• More efficient – . With underfloor heating, the heat is consistent and doesn’t lose heat underneath; especially if it is accompanied by underfloor heating insulation.
• Versatile – can be safe in wet rooms as well as different floor types in traditional rooms.
• Adjustable temperature – with the use of a thermostat.